WAT MUEN SARN IN THE PAST

WatMuenSarn1

This temple was built by King Sam Fung Kaen, the 8th King of the Mangrai Dynasty, in B.E. 1981 (1438). It is a temple of the Cylonese Buddhist School like Wat Suan Dok. In the reign of King Tilokarat, the 9th King of the Mangrai Dynasty, the grandson of the Abbot of Wat Suan Dok at that time was appointed, by the King, to become the Abbot of Wat Muen Sarn.

This incident shows that Wat Muen Sarn was an important temple for the Chiang Mai kings – a place for education and for interpretation of many royal documents. At present, Prakru Sutthijittapirat is the Abbot of the Temple.

This temple was named “Muen Sarn” since B.E. 2069 (1526), in the reign of King Kesklao of Lanna Kingdom. There was the court official named “Muen Wimol Kitti” who built the vihara (monastery) in this temple. His full name was “Muen Nungsue Wimol Kitti Sungla Rachamontri”. He had worked for the temple business, entertained ambassador and interpreted royal documents. He had supported this temple so this temple was named “Muen Sarn”. (Sarn in Thai means document.)